Here’s a guide on compiling Firesheep for both Firefox 3.6.x. I will hopefully be posting a usage guide shortly. There is a way to build it for Firefox 4, but as of yet it is not functioning.
- Clone the git repository containing the firesheep plugin:
git clone https://github.com/codebutler/firesheep.git
- Install the following packages needed to build firesheep: autoconf libtool libpcap-dev libboost-all-dev libhal-dev xulrunner-1.9.2-dev
- Change to the firesheep directory
git submodule update --init
- To attempt to build the Firefox 4 port, run the following commands. You can skip these if you plan on using firefox 3.6.
git fetch origin firefox4 git checkout firefox4 git checkout master git merge firefox4
- The firesheep.xpi you just built will located in the build/ directory.
- Install in firefox
If you want to build a firefox 4 version under Backtrack 5, you will have to build xulrunner from source. I will not cover this, as it is fairly simple, but compiling takes forever! Better to build it under a recent version of kubuntu 🙂