Over the last few years I’ve heard a lot about how we need to “trust the science,” “trust the government,” etc. Here is a compendium of reasons from reasonable sources (or well cited) that we should always ask questions. I’m not saying that in every case below people were purposefully acting maliciously, although the Tuskegee Syphilis experiments definitely qualify, but if no one had challenged and questioned …. what would have happened?
I would like to point that as a child I was taught that science never solved anything. And that by questioning the tests you strengthened the results.
The cases below are offered for your perusal, interpretation, and consideration into “asking questions,” which is not always the same as challenging authority. The constitution and law has given us a process to challenge authority and it should be followed.
- https://www.cdc.gov/tuskegee/timeline.htm Tuskegee Syphilis experiments
- https://helix.northwestern.edu/article/thalidomide-tragedy-lessons-drug-safety-and-regulation. Thalidomide was a “wonder drug” for babies, and then they started being born short limbs.
- https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2002/11/gao-military-anthrax-shots-caused-many-reactions-prompted-some-pilots-quit. As a side note, review this. It states, “About 20 percent of those infected will develop difficulty breathing and a bloodstream infection that causes death. If treated with antibiotics, less than 2 percent of infected persons will die.” This is not for inhaled anthrax but for blood infection anthrax. The risk profile is so low that mass vaccination is not recommended. If anthrax becomes a used bioweapon the threat profile would change, though thankfully the vaccine appears to protect (per the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia link above) against inhaled anthrax as well. This is why military personnel heading into a high threat profile are vaccinated.
- https://www.atomicheritage.org/history/human-radiation-experiments. Plutonium injections into 18 individuals, who were not informed of the injections.
- Kellog’s Asthma Relief
- COINTELPRO, illegal wiretapping and alleged assassinations. COINTELPRO style operations are alleged to continue into today according to the article.
- Ruby Ridge, combined with WACO which forced the United States government into compliance with their own laws – funny how that works.
This will be a rolling post, updated as I feel relevant.